Wednesday 21 March 2012

Mind blowing decisions

No not the heatwave song...... just my brain whirring overtime. I didnt sleep very well last night as expected, all kinds of memories going through my mind. I kept thinking about the first time I met Kevin in 1979.  Although I am from a small Essex town, I had itchy feet and whilst my friends were happy at home and going out locally at weekends I wanted more.   I had been working at a local department store in the personnel department. My new boss Alison arrived and she had just come from Debenhams in Oxford street. She wanted the quiet life, babies and good schools. She could see I was frustrated and wanted a challenge. She suggested I apply to some major stores in London , write a few letters and see if there were any openings in Personnel. It was so much easier in those days to find work and it wasnt long before I had a couple of interviews lined up.
The confidence of youth combined with energy and zest for life, spurred me on and I was offered a post at Debenhams in Oxford Street. Very exciting for me and my social life really took off. I was commuting an hour each way and not really earning much more money but it was worth it.
Anyway back to Kevin, a group of us would meet after work at the Pontefract castle pub off Oxford Street, we were all young free and single at the time and to us it seemed pointless going home after work when most of us lived outside London.
I had heard about Kevin before I really met him, in other words his reputation went before him, He was tall dark and handsome. Well actually not that tall but dark, good looking with a certain air of bad boy about him. Thinking about it, he may have actually had a perm......  dont let that put you off though if you imagine a kind of young Robbie Williams crossed with David Essex again obviously when he was young and goergous  (sorry David, I still love you !)  
He was in demand, and my friend Sharon who also worked at Debenhams had a major crush on him. I was a bit nonchalent when I first encountered him. Thought he was a bit arrogant and full of himself but looking back I probably didnt want to be just another notch on his bedpost.
Anyway we all went away for the weekend to play another Debenhams store at Netball and Football in Nottingham. It was a good laugh on the coach and the night before the matches, we all decided to go out drinking which looking back was probably not the best idea.  But hey we had the stamina then and nothing would stop us having a good time. I was sharing a room with Sharon who was a strange girl really looking back.
Somehow or other I ended up talking to Kevin, we had the same sense of humour, it was easy and I started to feel I had maybe misjudged him. He was funny, clever, and very very sexy. I remember our first kiss in the hotel room,  I dont know where Sharon had gone at that time, but I had clearly upset her by my liason with Kevin and she had left me to it.  He pinned me up against the wall in the hotel and kissed me, gently at first then passionately.  I was hooked by then, and there was no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment